This campsite veggie curry is ideal as a full-on feast with fresh ingredients, but it also works brilliantly using dried and tinned produce for gourmet backpacking!
Pans 1 large
Knife, spoon, small chopping board
Prep time 30-40 minutes
Fuel efficiency: 4/5
You will need
> ½ mug (130g) green lentils
> ½ mug (150g) bulgar wheat
> large handful cashew nuts
> handful sultanas
> 1 carrot, 1 onion (or dried)
> 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 green pepper
> large handful desiccated coconut
> tin chopped tomatoes
> ½ mug (200ml) orange juice
> olive oil
> 1 stock cube, salt and pepper
> 1–2 spoonfuls curry powder
> 1 mug (300g) rice
How to do it
- Chop the onion, carrot and pepper.
- Heat the oil and gently fry the vegetables for five minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, bulgar wheat, lentils, nuts, sultanas, crushed stock cube, coconut, curry powder and seasoning.Stir and cover with the orange juice.
- Stir well and simmer, stirring regularly and topping up with water to stop it thickening too much, for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Serve with rice, chapattis or bread.