It’s that time of year – Elderflower season. Team OAG went foraging last week, and, along with nettles and wild garlic, one of the goodies we came across was the Elder. So we promptly knocked up some elderflower cordial.
Elder tress can be found just about everywhere, so if your not lucky enough to have on in your backgarden, head to the park and look for the huge heads of shiny flowers.
Elderflower Cordial Recipe
20 heads of elderflowers,
1.8 kg granulated sugar,
1.2 l water
- Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, zest the fruits and add to a bowl, along with the elderflowers. Slice the oranges and lemons and add to the bowl.
- When the syrup is boiling, add it to the bowl. Then cover and keep cool for 24 hours.
- Strain twice using a muslin cloth, pour into sterilised jars and freeze or refrigerate
- Dilute to taste with fizzy water or champagne
- Serve with lemon and mint and drink away!